Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bring 'Em Home Week 5

I'm not sure I can top Katie's latest list but it's worth a try. I must admit that I adore Fredericksburg VA -- it's a charming town, has a great little yarn store, the Civil War battlefield site is amazing, and it has the world's saddest little museum: The James Monroe House. 'America's Forgotten Founding Father' used to live in F-burg, and you can visit his house (but not most of his furniture cuz the White House nabbed it). The docents there are so glad that you have to come to visit that you get a personally guided tour around the whole museum/house (which takes about 15 minutes actually). AND my personal fave museum that I haven't actually been to yet: the Civil War Soldier's Museum which is located in the strip mall right off the freeway exit to Cara & Tony's house.

Now that we've covered the main charms of F-burg, let's look at what the 'Kane has on offer:

The Spokane River and Falls go right through the middle of town (when Avista doesn't 'turn off' the water, they are quite a beautiful site.) Yes, F-burg has the Rappahannock River, which has a cool name, but it's not as pretty as our river.

And here's the Little Spokane River, a fun place to hike and canoe. Is there a Little Rappahannock? Doubt it.


We have the Zags, they have the Hokies. Nuff said.

Yeah the 'burg is loaded with cool historical buildings, but we have the Davenport Hotel. It's old too! And you can sleep there, try doing that at the James Monroe House/Museum.


Does F-burg have its very own mother/son creepy rapist-enabler team? I think not.

"Coach" Craig T. Nelson graduated from Lewis & Clark HS right here in Spokane. F-burg has Judge Reinhold, who got beat to a pulp by McCauley Culkin in "Home Alone". You make the call as to who has the cooler celeb.


We have Bruttles (soft peanut brittle) You can get head cheese in the 'burg.

JOHNNY DEPP actually filmed a movie in Spokane! I imagine there have been some Civil War movies filmed in F-burg.

14 comments:

Lis said...

I can't believe you can even think of all of this stuff! I would have ended my campaign after week one. Did you ever watch arrested development? Judge Reinhold is in that too. So funny. Totally random. SoRrY

Laurie said...

oh Lis, you crack me up. Never apologize for random posts. It's what blogging is all about!

Cara said...

i still havent been to the civil war soldier musuem because it is just too sad. they have this tiny little shop(musuem) in the back of the strip mall. the burg ccant compete with the NW, I already know this!!

Cara said...

and, we do have a little rappahanock, but it's a lot like the potomac...its closed a lot due to high disease content in the water! ughh!

Laurie said...

lolol, Car. I AM going to that strip mall museum one of the days, I swear it.

zaideafraidey said...

don't say that L, or they for sure won't leave until you've seen it!

Laurie said...

well I figure I'll have to go help them pack and drive their crap back. How's that?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

How come Cara always responds to your posts and not mine? :( Anyways, your post was awesome, loved it, it kinda makes me want to leave the 'Kan just so I can move back again! And Lis, it's really effing hard to keep coming up with new stuff, that's why I slack in the postings, but we will not be deterred...

Laurie said...

nope, once a week until we wear them out completely. If I have to compare names from the Spokane & Fburg phone books, so be it. And Katie, I get a reply bc I am the mother.

Sue said...

there's a video out about "Son"??? Do you have it! I MUST SEE IT

Laurie said...

oh yes, tv movie starring Elizabeth Montgomery as Ruth. I don't have it, but I think it's pretty readily available out there...

Meg said...

I am dying! I saw forgot about Benny and Joon...oh the memories of watching this at Alderwood Cinemas (that my mom dropped me off at) in a Mervyn's flannel shirt, greasy hair, and some tattered jeans and red cons. Get home you people. F'berg is barf.

Unknown said...

I might also point out that you can swim in our rivers without fear of being attacked by giant poisonous snakes!!!