Sunday, July 10, 2011

Garlic Scapes!

These are my new favorite thing!  I'd never heard of garlic scapes before a bag of them arrived in my weekly organic produce box.  They are "the flower stalk of hardneck garlic".  Since I'm trying to use at least half the produce I receive rather than tossing it ALL on the compost pile, I went in search of a recipe.

And found this White Bean and Garlic Scapes Dip , for which I (weirdly enough, because I usually have nothing that a recipe calls for) had all the ingredients, and even found the food processor.

IT IS GOOD!  It's basically hummus I guess, but man it is so tasty.  I want to just take a spoon and eat it right from the bowl.  But equally good with pita chips.

Yay!  I made something new!  And Katie and I are having spareribs plus fresh green beans, both of which we purchased at the Farmer's Market yesterday.  So dinner will def. be tasty.

7 comments:

Cara said...

i love that you are having organic things delivered to you every week!

Laurie said...

now if I could just eat everything I get, rather than tossing half of it on the compost pile. It's HARD. But I'm persevering. And we def. have the fanciest compost in town.

Katie said...

dinner WAS tasty. although my vegetarian baked beans weren't technically organic LOL. those ribs were super yummy.

Lis said...

I am totally trying this!

Also, save some of your (compost) veggies to make stock!

Laurie said...

it's even better the 2nd day. And I'm going to finish it off for lunch with some carrots I think. True on the stock, Lis. I'll remember that (although my compost stuff mostly seems to be lettuce I didn't eat before it got all wilty and fruit that got moldy because it was at the bottom of the bowl)

Katie said...

we're out of carrots. i used them in that yummy turkey meatloaf thingy. :) sorry.

zaideafraidey said...

what time is dinner???