Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Scandinavian Cardigan is Dunzo!

I finished the Scandinavian Cardigan for my little buddy Alex, and it is being blocked as I type. I need to find some nice pewter buttons...think I have a bag of them around here somewhere. I'll take a pic. when it's got the buttons, so you all can see how cute it is! I used Lamb's Pride worsted weight yarn, and I think it is soft enough for my boy, who is very sensitive to texture and only likes 'soft' things.

Very nice pattern, so nice that I am scrambling to knit 3 MORE of them for the brothers. They will be perfect for Christmas photos. Of course, I didn't escape unscathed by the mistake fairy. I misread the color work chart when I was knitting the yoke pattern, and one stitch was off. I noticed right away, and went back and looked at the chart and misread it again. So finished the sweater, and as I was weaving in ends decided to look at that chart one more time. Sure enough, I had done it wrong. I managed to fix the error by duplicate stitching over the mistakes, but could have saved myself a LOT of time if I had only trusted my eyes and re-knit it correctly.

And one more note: generally I don't wash my sweaters when blocking them. I usually either use my steam iron and block them on the ironing board, or I just get them wet and then lay them out to dry. But I decided to throw some mild detergent in and let this sweater soak in the sink for about 20 minutes. I was amazed at how dirty the rinse water was! Either this yarn has been sitting on a shelf gathering dust for a while, or I dragged this project through the mud. I think I'll be washing all my sweaters when blocking from now on!

7 comments:

Sue said...

I am determined to finish THE PANTS this week!

Laurie said...

Wow, that's a speed record! They will be much loved I'm sure (and she is returning the new grey pants so she is gonna need something to wear)

Sue said...

why is she returning the pants?? what a dork!

Laurie said...

seriously, they looked cute on her. She says she cannot zip them up (they zip in the back) and no pockets for her kleenex. She really wants nasty Fingerhut (that's the catalog I was trying to think of!) pantsuits.

Sue said...

OMG - she's turning into Toddie - take note - WE TURN INTO OUR MOTHER'S

Laurie said...

gah.

Unknown said...

Stop it you two, you're scaring the rest of us. Cara is screaming with fear that she'll become a ... LIBRARIAN!