Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oldies But Goodies


It's nice to know that kids are still chanting the same rhymes as we did when we were little (with some political correctness to Eeny Meeny...)

Here's what the boys are chanting currently:

"Eeny meeny miney mo,
catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers make him pay
50 dollars every day.
My mother said to choose the very best one,
and you are not IT."

"Bubblegum, bubblegum in a dish.
How many pieces do you wish?"

There's something so sweet about hearing them recite these rhymes (at least until they start pounding each other about who is IT). We are still debating over Eeny Meeny, and whether you ARE it or AREN'T it when the counter lands on you. What is your opinion on the eeny meeny controversy? And what rhymes do you remember?

8 comments:

Sue said...

Logie and I were listening to "Three Blind Mice" the other day and gues what??? The Farmer's Wife does NOT cut off their tails with a carving knife - now she is "sticken with strife" - have you ever seen such a sight in your life???

Laurie said...

WHAT!? That's just wrong.

Katie said...

I vote that you ARE "it" if you get pointed at - even though it totally goes against the rhyme.

And Sue, that is ridic. i hate things that turn "PC"

Cara said...

you are not it...for sure.

Sue said...

OH! and on One-two buckle my shoe -BZ was always making fun of me because when I got to nine- ten -it IS Big Fat Hen! HA!

Laurie said...

Agreed Susna, what does the B think it is??? Also, we have had a LOT of 'I know you are, but what am I', but the boys have added a new ending (new to me): 'stick your butt in cherry pie, I hope you die in Junior High'.

zaideafraidey said...

OMG really, be careful what you are asking for...the Una Dosieters should be appearing momentarily (I can hear them now) Mary???? I always thought it was 9/10 big fat hen too.

Laurie said...

oh I know, I'm waiting for the duet to scream in my ears :-) Where are you, Car and Megs?