Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Amazing!


If you know me at all, you know I'm not the world's greatest driver. I distinctly remember my poor high school driving teacher, Mr. McConkey, staring at me and shaking his head as I attempted my first drive. I didn't get my license until I was in my 20s (the guy who gave me my test said he HAD to pass me since I scored just barely enough points to earn my DL, but he sure didn't want to), and I have a little habit of 'dinging' my car fairly often. I avoided parallel parking for literally years bc I am such a horrible backer-upper.

So I had to share this AMAZING parallel parking job I did downtown today! A few years ago Katie took me in hand and taught me to PP. Today I was downtown and found the one and only parking spot by the library. I gritted my teeth and voila! Glided right into the parking spot, people. You couldn't have slid a dime between my tires and the curb.

Of such small triumphs is happiness made (in my life anyways) Thank you, Teacher Katie! You could be the new Mr. McConkey!

5 comments:

Meg said...

Wow. I still can't do this. In fact, if I'm with the B, one of us gets out and helps instruct the other with big hand signals. Well done my lady!!!!

Katie said...

i AM incredible at teaching the parallel... not sure why. but good work!

Kathryn said...

I'm very impressed. Our car goes through tyres like you wouldn't believe. My husband is convinced it's the car's fault, but I know better.... It does tyres absolutely no good to keep running them into the kerb you know!

zaideafraidey said...

reminds me of the time I was visiting Megs in Spokane, we went downtown to her gym and attempted to paralell park on the street. I think Megs was driving but it could easily have been me. She attempted the spot, back and forth, b and f, b and f until I finally got out of the car and tried to coach her in, we finally aborted and went home!!! (funny I did not read the comments before writing this and see Meg said much the same thing - in a lot fewwer words!!)

Cara said...

the only time ive ever done a good pp was during my driving test!!