I've been 'nanny Laurie' for the boys for just over a year now, and it's been (mostly) a lot of fun! Of course, I get the 'I wish you weren't my babysitter' fairly often, but it goes in one ear and out the other and the boys are usually very loving to me. So I thought I would make a little 'anniversary list':
- 1. I get to think of myself as Mary Poppins anytime I want (the good book version not the sappy Disney movie MP.)
2. How many jobs include a big hug and a kiss when you come in the door in the morning and leave at night?
3. I get time every day to rock a little boy in my lap and just enjoy.
4. Kids' laughter and pure delight at anything funny.
5. Taking time to answer all Liam's questions about animals, the universe, bugs, and much much more.
6. Helping a child learn to read, and getting to see him come out the classroom door with his nose in a good book.
7. Discovering that boys are NOT like girls in just about every way you can imagine.
8. Trips to the library, where we always have to find books about animals, dinosaurs, martial arts and wars.
9. Getting to do crafts, with tons of tape, glue, glitter and markers. Then giving them to someone special.
10. Sharing a favorite childhood activity; the boys and I celebrated May Day last year with little baskets of flowers they hung on the neighbors' doors and then hid. That was the most fun thing we did all year, and I can't wait to do it again!
I am so lucky to have these four little men in my life! They give love and laughter to me every day, and my life is richer for it. And fyi to my own kids: I'll still have plenty of love available for any grandbabies...