Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tis The Season...

...to find good holiday reads at the thrift store! I'm always looking for good books for the boys, and the thrift stores have so many choices, most in great condition (though we don't mind a few crayon scribbles).

My latest finds:


"The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg. A classic that should be in every child's (little and big) library! Van Allsburg's illustrations are gorgeous and the story is wonderful. If you have a little bell to ring at the end, that makes a perfect finale!


"Santa Calls" by William Joyce. Cool illustrations and a swashbuckling adventure, plus Santa. You can't go wrong!


"The Travels of Babar" by Jean de Brunhoff. I've loved Babar since I was a kid, and he's still a fave. Charming illustrations and I'm starting to relate to the Old Lady more and more...


"Father Christmas" by Raymond Briggs. He also wrote and illustrated "The Snowman", which is a lovely story. This one is a lot of fun, showing what REALLY goes on behind the scenes at Christmas! And kids love the picture of Santa on the potty.

2 comments:

Sue said...

keep a look-out for another father christmas - been looking for one forever and not for $50!

Laurie said...

oh wow really!? I have had my softcover one for ages, just added it to this list cuz it's my favorite. I will be looking!