Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Lace Project from an 1883 pattern



I love the New York Times, and have worked the NYT crossword puzzle daily since I was old enough to hold a pencil (or pen in my later years, and now work it online) I'm completely convinced that the NYT puzzle is going to save me from Alzheimer's. Or if I do get a little gaga in my golden years, I'll at least have learned a lot of interesting words and definitions.

Anyway, I was delighted to see that the Times has opened their archives and you can read articles from the 1850s on. I found quite a few knitting related links, including an article from Feb. 1883 titled "Gossip About Knitting" This article has several 'pithy' knitting patterns (no pictures, no real instructions, you evidently needed to know what you were doing to be a knitter in 1883)

One of the 'recipes' was for "A Very Pretty Shoulder Shawl" with instructions for an easy lace pattern. I had a skein of lovely Fleece Artist Suri Blue yarn that I was using to make a 1-skein wrap, but decided to try working this lace pattern instead. It's an easy pattern to knit, and I think it will be quite pretty after it's blocked.

I am using US #4 needles to knit this and cast on 100 stitches. The first 2 and last 2 stitches are worked in garter stitch (and are not included in the pattern instructions below):

Row 1: *yo, knit 1, yo, knit 1, slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over the k2tog stitches, knit 1; repeat from *
Row 2 and all even # rows: purl (remember to work first 2 and last 2 stitches in garter st)
Row 3: *yo, knit 3, yo, slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over the k2tog stitches; repeat from *
Row 5: *knit 1, slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over the k2tog stitches, knit 1, yo, knit 1 yo; repeat from *
Row 7: *slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over the k2tog stitches, yo, knit 3, yo; repeat from *.

I have about 650 yds of this yarn and I'm thinking that will be plenty for a lacy stole.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Thank for posting about this and providing the link! How fun and I'll have to give it a try.