Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Humerus Report

I am still waiting for the swelling in my broken arm to go down, so the orthopedist can evaluate the break and decide if I need surgery...

How'd it happen?  I got up from my swiveling office chair to do something, and as I stood up and took a step forward, my foot got caught in the dangling cord of my mouse.  Next thing I knew, I was flying through the air, then landing HARD on the floor.  I knew right away I had done something b.a.d. as the pain was intense.  I also hit my head on the wall when I fell, but that was minor compared to my arm pain.

I managed to get up after a few minute of laying on the floor whimpering.  Neither Pia or Katie was close enough to get home to help.  I decided to risk embarassment (cuz I could've been wrong!) and called 911.  The fire dept sent out an aid car and a fire truck.  Since Steve showed up around then, they decided that I could get down to the ER without having to go in the aid car.

We headed down to Sacred Heart, where we waited, and we waited, and we waited...3+ hours after we arrived, I finally got into a treatment room, where I finally got some pain killers (yay).  They give me orthopedist name.

Ortho office doesn't want to see me for 10 days, so I'm toughing it out till next friday.  I can knit a tiny, teeny bit for a few minutes at a time.  I can read.  I can watch tv.  Everything else HURTS.  And I have the mother of all bruises on my left arm.

That's the latest on my broken wing.  It sucks, this is NOT how I had planned to spend my summer vacation!

10 comments:

Cara said...

totally stinks. hopefully you wont need surgery so the summer wont be totally ruined!

Unknown said...

Sorry mommy. How's Steve doing taking care of you this weekend?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

he's been very nice! and I hope it's not going to wreck the whole summer...

zaideafraidey said...

Oh L I am so sorry. Probably well beyond the pain is the fact that knitting has been reduced to less than the bare minimum. Glad the PK's are working. Let us know how you are faring.

Sue said...

Are you doing better? I have some pk's if you come over . . .

Laurie said...

I'm a big better sktill massive bruised/swelling (and can't type) I have doc appt Friday then will see what's up. Hang onto the PK's may need them :)

Meg said...

Shoot...too bad you didn't have a wireless mouse. And definitely should have gone in the ambulance...would've been seen much quicker:). Looks like you learned two really big lessons in all this.
J/K! I feel awful for you!!!! Nothing worse than getting an injury...as an adult:(.

Katie said...

Meg- that's what i told her too (re the ambulance ride)... oh well, live and learn.

Laurie said...

WHERE WERE U SMARTY PANTS NURSES WHEN I NEEDED U