Monday, October 10, 2011

The Weekend Wrap-Up

Pia and I are safely home from our knitting weekend in beautiful Whitefish, MT.  A few observations:


  • Whitefish is close enough to drive to.  As opposed to going on the train.  Which departs Whitefish at 9 pm and arrives in Spokane at 1 am.  Note to self: look at a map when planning a trip...
  • Good Medicine Lodge is a wonderful B&B.  Even though I'm not a good candidate for staying at a B&B (that whole communal breakfast thing makes me sweaty), I enjoyed our stay.  The hosts (formerly from Alexandria, VA!  Hey Virginians!) were so nice, and let us hang out at the inn all day Sunday waiting for time to go to the train.  And even packed us cookies for the train ride.  Plus it's right down the road from Big Mountain, something to consider for future winter ski trips...
  • Thank god Pia came with me.  She was by FAR the liveliest person at the retreat.  I was the second liveliest.   Which tells you all you need to know about how lively the weekend was.  Seriously, both nights P & I were the last ones up.  At 9:00 the place emptied and knitters went to bed.  Lame.  
  • This was the quietest group of women I've ever seen.  NO raucous partying.  NO knitting in PJ's.  NO swearing or mean comments.  Snooze.  Cannot wait for the Northside Knitters Retreat in a couple of weeks.  Those gals know how to have a good time while knitting.
  • I was by far the most experienced knitter at the weekend.  One other lady had been knitting as many years as I have, but she was so quiet no one even knew she was there.  And the most popular project was this:
 a ruffled scarf made with some kind of crazy yarn.  The ladies were CRAZY over this project.  Not my cuppa tea.
  • Pia finished TWO hats, while I finished NOTHING.  
Guess those are the "highlights" of our weekend.  Now to get caught up on work, and start getting ready for fun retreat coming up at Lutherhaven!  Another Note to Self: pack booze

8 comments:

Sue said...

amen to all the above! can't wait to see you at the REAL retreat!

Laurie said...

I KNOW! Pia and I are excited to hang out with FUN KNITTERS!

Meg said...

YOu went there...with strangers. Geeze. You've become a stranger to me!

Laurie said...

I wouldn't have done it w/o P! She is the brave little toaster. She even talked to a cray-cray guy at the train depot who wanted to chat about the crocheted hat his nephew made for him. I refused to make eye contact.

Cara said...

that honestly sounds like the worst weekend ever. at least the b and b sounded nice.

Laurie said...

oh please, it could have been at a race track. THAT would be the worst weekend EVER.

Katie said...

that scarf is fug. you definitely need the FUN knitting group.

Unknown said...

It was pretty horrid, but the B&B was great, and we had THE nicest room in the place. There were three younger knitters that we hung out with a bit, but otherwise, boring. I did enjoy our walks though mom, and hanging out with you. I can't wait for NWK and some fun ladies. Also, still pissed that NO ONE offered us a ride back to Spokane. So lame.