Monday, September 29, 2008

Read a Banned Book!

This is Banned Books Week, and I invite you to read one of these most frequently challenged books of the 20th Century:


"The Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger.

"Lolita" by Vladimir Nabakov.

"The Color Purple" by Alice Walker.

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck.

and my favorite book of all time "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

I'm proud to say that I have read every one of these books. Read, people, read!!!

10 comments:

Sue said...

oh, we ARE quite the radicals aren't we? - I know these books all turned me into a flaming liberal - take THAT Sarah Palin!

Laurie said...

lol, hope you know who does not read this blog (kidding!)

Sue said...

whatevah . . .

Cara said...

the only one i havent read is lolita! maybe that will be my next read...

Katie said...

i only have a couple left to read, better add it to my embarassingly large list of books to read! :) And "The Color Purple" is my all-time fave, glad to see it on there...

PS Cara why is your profile pic of Dad golfing???

Laurie said...

can't say I loved Lolita, but at least I can check it off my list.

Laurie said...

yeah my little blond daughter! No one else understands how I can love TKAM that much. And until I read Ulysses, I feel like I'm totally illiterate. I figure I have about another 30 years to do that (hope!)

zaideafraidey said...

I always knew Catcher was a magnet, even in Northshore if I recall (not on my watch) But so many others that I have read and not a clue. It reminds me of how each of us needs to stay vigilant in keeping opportunities to explore open to all. thanks for the reminder L.

Unknown said...

TKM and Color Purple are on the top of my list. I too have read all but Lolita. Not sure I care to tackle it though.

Sue said...

or you could be Josh Narode-like - who HAS read "Ulysses" AND "War and Peace"!