Wednesday, September 16, 2009

%#^&*@ Mystery Socks!


For the love of mike, this sock may be the death of me. Seemed pretty straightforward: must be knit using yellow yarn. Fine, I have some yellow sock yarn. Clue #1: ribbing for 9 rounds. Fine, I can do ribbing with my eyes closed.
Then the knife in the dark: make a 'vikkel braid' on the next round. This is an Estonian knitting technique where you create a cute little braided effect around one row (you can kind of see it in the picture). Fine, I think. I've done these braided things before.
Well, I spent at least TWO HOURS last night trying to knit the first 3 stitches of this damn braid. The technique could NOT be done, at least not by me. I threw it down in frustration and went to bed. I dreamed of vikkeling all night. I was not going to be denied my mystery sock! I've been knitting longer than most of my readers have been alive, how could I NOT KNOW HOW TO VIKKEL???
Checked Ravelry for any helpful posts and found another knitter who said she/he had succeeded when they made their braid and the round before it very loose. Aha! I switched to size 3 needles and vikkeled away!
Never will forgive those Estonians, though.

6 comments:

Sue said...

HAH! Another strike for making socks! Although I am making Kirdy some Mariners Old School socks through a modified pattern - and doing a new technique (for me) "festive knitting" - kinda crazy!

Laurie said...

what's festive knitting? Sounds Christmasy!

Cara said...

i dont know what any of that meant, but it sounds like it would be annoying!

Sue said...

you will have to see it to believe it!

Unknown said...

Sounds like wedding fun to see festive knitting! Way to stick with it mom. You've almost inspired me to rip out my damn mystery bag and finish it. I need to get back to it. ARGH!

Laurie said...

DO IT, P. You will forget the pain as soon as you are back on track (well you prolly won't forget it, but you want that bag, you know you do!) Hey there's a good yarn store in Wally World I hear, you and K should check it out..