Monday, September 8, 2014

My Favorite Teacher

It's back to school time, and that brought to mind my own school years.  Who was my favorite teacher?  Hands down, Mrs. Margaret Kelly.

Mrs. Kelly was beyond exotic to my 1960s suburban eyes: she wore stoles and big chunky jewelry! She had long red fingernails and wore blood-red lipstick! She wore her hair in a big bun with chopsticks skewered through it (at least in my memory there are chopsticks)
She loved all things Oriental, kept a box of “Ducklings” candy in her desk drawer (I’m sure she needed chocolate fixes during a day of dealing with a class of 40+ 3rd graders), and instilled in me a love of reading and drama. Casting me as the Goddess Kwan Yin in our class play was the high point of my drama career :-) and god knows what our parents thought of this play lol.
A larger than life, incredibly stylish and wonderful woman who recognized something special inside my super-shy little person and encouraged me in all things. All these years later, she remains in my heart as my favorite teacher (and every time I see Auntie Mame, I think of Mrs. Kelly)

I wish I had a picture to share.  Zaide, do you?  Who's your favorite teacher?

5 comments:

Cara said...

I think Ms. Snyder from 6th grade. she was always kind and funny, but tough when she needed to be.

Laurie said...

She was a great 6th grade teacher!

Katie said...

Maron! Always letting me hang in her room, talking about nothing, full of joy and love of learning.

Laurie said...

Remember when she danced with Tony at the Barn Dance? One of my favorite memories, such a good sport lol

zaideafraidey said...

Oh Mrs. Kelley for sure. Larger than life. I remember her coming in one Monday morning wearing her full length fur coat her diamonds and the rest. She told ism that they had been burglarized over the weekend and she felt naked so put on all her things. Can you imagine a teacher telling you she felt naked, stuck with me all these years. I adored her.