Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Birthday Fun

I met up with the twins and RJ, who are 13 and 14 now (geez, when did THAT happen?  I was just changing their diapers last week it seems...)  Anyway, we headed out to do a little birthday shopping.  These guys are outdoorsy types, no back to school clothes for them.

First Stop, the White Elephant (a tradition for gift shopping.  My kids used to LOVE going here to spend their Xmas loot.  They still carry ALL the same stuff).  The idea was to purchase new fishing gear.  But attention was quickly diverted by the plethora of other stuff available in the guns and ammo dept.  I was mostly sure their mom would not okay actual guns, a bow, rubber band shooting guns, clubs, and all kinds of lethal weaponry they really really really wanted.

I allowed 2 packages of "marbles" (more like stainless steel b-b's) for Al's slingshot and a pouch to carry them in.  He assured me this purchase was fine.  I'll probably be dead meat.  Jon made him put it all in the "ammo safe" or something as soon as we got home.  Which is probably for the best.  RJ got a new strap for his slingshot.  Liam purchased nothing.

Well, he did spend a dime on this:


He may be 13, but there's a five year old still lurking in there :-)

Next Stop:  Dawn of the Donuts, our new donut shop, where every donut is "zombie" themed.  I think we got a "Brains" and 2 named after famous zombies:


Next Stops:

their favorite thrift store and Joann Fabrics.  We were searching for geodes and for a repair thing for RJ's machete case.  Yes, Riveria does own a machete.  Strictly for weed whacking, I'm assured.  No luck on the geodes, and I had no idea what he needed to repair on his case.  So we stopped by the house to check it out.  Turns out it needs to be sewn up and maybe have a plastic liner inserted so he quits ripping it every time he holsters the machete.  Lavs can handle that.

Last Stop:

Hobby Town.  This is where we should have STARTED.  They had everything these guys wanted.  Liam found his beloved geode and two additional rocks for his collection.  PLUS they had a rock dispenser (like a gumball machine but filled with rocks) so he spent his last 50 cents there.  Done.  Al found an agate he liked, so there went his last $.  And Riveria bought a Kendama "pill".  I guess Kendama is all the rage with the grade school/middle school kids.  Who knew.  But there was happiness all around.



And Jon loaded me up with all kinds of fresh produce from his amazing garden, so I didn't go home empty-handed either.

We had a great time, these guys are getting so grown up and were perfect gentlemen.  They did assure me that when I take Mike shopping, he will be a little greedo, which is probably true.  He gets back tonight from his 3 week Europe trip with his grandparents and I'm sure he'll be calling me tomorrow at 7 am to make a shopping date.

1 comment:

Sue said...

love everything about the whole trip and how they are turning out - and is fig yogurt still a fav at their house????