Sunday, May 8, 2011

Moms

My favorite thing in the world is being a Mom (even more favorite than knitting and that is saying something!)  As I've mentioned a time or two, my kids are the planet's -- no, the universe's -- most fabulous life forms. 

I also have a wonderful Mom, who is 87 this year (or 85, or 79, depending on the day and which birthdate she's choosing to acknowledge).  She's a feisty little lady, all 90 lbs (and shrinking) of her.  I have so many great memories of Mom:

  • Enjoying a pitcher of martinis with Dad after work
  • Being the world's greatest pie maker, plus having the PERFECT recipes for mac and cheese and scalloped potatoes.
  • A stylish gal.  I LOVED rummaging through her drawers of hankies, gloves, her jewelry (especially her charm bracelets), her boxes of high heels with matching purses, her HATS.  
  • She was so creative!  She made fabulous Christmas ornaments and gifts, knitted like a dream (I love it when I come across a vintage knitting pattern that I remember her knitting), sewed and painted and all kinds of crafty stuff
  • She would make personalized gingerbread men for everyone in the family, the neighborhood and maybe the entire town of Bothell every year.  And hung them on the beams in our family room
  • Brought us a new sibling (usually a sister) nearly every year.  Most of them we liked, but we were all a little peeved when Jamie Claire arrived only 11 months after Lisa.  We weren't ready for a new baby, so we tortured poor Jamie mercilessly.  It didn't help matters that Claire was terrified of everything. Though now that I think of it, being tortured probably CREATED the terror.  Sorry, J.
  • Hosted grown-up parties all the time (or at least it seemed that way)
And so much more.  Here are some pix of Lois and the family:

 Mom and I at Toddie & Baba's House in the early 70s.  God I was young...and she is stylish in her shift + cocktail  PS.  I worship that pinecone wallpaper
I've posted this photo before, but it's one of my favorites.  Again, the family is gathered at Toddie & Baba's house.  Mom looks very 1958 in her cotton dress and pointy bra.  And I obviously picked up my current dressing habits early.  That's me in the sloppy capris.  I pretty much dress exactly the same now.

Here we are at Christmas in probably 1956 or so.  Mom is holding a gingerbread house (don't think she made it, T & B usually brought one at Xmas)  And for once I look cute in a DRESS

Mom doesn't use the computer any more, but maybe one of my sibs can pull this up and show her these pictures.  Maybe she will remember.  Maybe not.  But it sure makes me happy to look at them.  And think of my Mom.

5 comments:

Katie said...

LOVE these! More old pics! Yay!

Cara said...

that was a really sweet post. and i too love my mom!!!

zaideafraidey said...

thanks for all the wonderful reminders L-Dine. Mom was/is a great mom who was all of those things. Still feisty, still shrinking.

Sue said...

Oh my gosh - that is Gerry Wheat in the photo with us - and Mom painted the mosaic on the window every year when we lived on Fryer Ave.

Laurie said...

I wondered why Judy looked completely different :-) Good memory S, you are still sharp as a tack. And I thought that was the Fryer Ave. house.