Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dyeing to Dye!






Call me crazy, but I'm spending the afternoon dyeing sock yarn! I've been 'dyeing' to try this for a while and today seemed like a good day. I have a little dye kit I got from Hello Yarn and some undyed sock yarn. I have an old canning kettle I picked up from a thrift store. I have no one around to interrupt me. So here goes!



Of course I have grand plans to create a beautiful hand dyed yarn that will be the colors of Venice:



But since I really don't know how to mix these colors, I'm pretty sure my sock yarn is not going to look ANYthing like Venice...

Pictures of the process to follow soon! Now to don my respirator and latex gloves and go forth and dye!

5 comments:

Sue said...

it'll be the color of the sewre canals of venice! just kidding - sweet jebus - you'll be getting the drop spindle out next - and raising sheep instead of chickens - or maybe angora goats . . .

Sue said...

i meant sewer or course

Laurie said...

close, it's purple and red. And I've already 'tried' the drop spindle (as in I looked at the instructions and was totes lost), and no goats or sheep I'm afraid of em.

Lis said...

What are you going to knit w/ your venice yarn? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I almost went down your road of dorkism and wrote DYEsaster...well, I guess I have now. I'm out. I'm a dork.

Laurie said...

lol welcome to the dork club Lis. I am going to knit socks assuming the yarn isn't too fug. It's drying now and I will post pix soon!